Informative essays are a chance to show what you know. They’re all about informing the reader, without trying to persuade or offer an opinion. Informative writing can include how-to process essays, biographical writing, an in-depth analysis of a topic, research papers, or compare-and-contrast essays. Just remember to stick to the facts, and be clear and descriptive. These informative essay topics offer something for all interests and ages.
How-To Informative Essay Topics
Teach your reader the steps or process to:
- Cook a recipe
- Set a table
- Make a quilt
- Change a tire
- Make a bed
- Start a recycling program
- Play a game
- Build a birdhouse
- Plant a garden
- Make and care for a compost pile
- Care for an animal
- Start a business
- Catch a fish
- Tie a necktie
- Train for a marathon
- Prepare a campsite
- Make a campfire
- Clean a room
- Wrap a gift
- Plan a party
- Kick a bad habit
- Use social media responsibly
- Do CPR
- Manage time effectively
- Make a budget
Social Studies Informative Essay Topics
- Describe the life of a world leader.
- How has the role of women in the workplace changed in the last hundred years?
- Explore the current path to becoming an American citizen.
- What are some of the possible ways the pyramids were built?
- Describe a time period in history.
- How does one country’s economy affect another country?
- What is the difference between socialism and communism?
- Explore the benefits and drawbacks of legalizing drugs.
- Describe the political system in a foreign country.
- Explore the causes of a specific war or armed conflict in history.
- How is a new law passed in the United States?
- Give an overview of the history of any country, state, or city.
- Describe the three branches of American government.
- Explain how the American judicial system works.
- Describe the evolution of fashion throughout history.
Science Informative Essay Topics
- Describe a science experiment, including the hypothesis, process, and conclusion.
- Explain what it means to lead a healthy lifestyle.
- What is the relationship between calories and fat?
- What is the physics behind a bicycle?
- How do plants convert sunlight into energy?
- Describe any element from the periodic table, including its makeup and uses.
- What is the difference between a crocodile and an alligator?
- Describe the life cycle of any animal.
- What are the benefits of recycling?
- Describe the life of a prominent scientist.
- Explain what E = mc2 means.
- Describe any disease, including its symptoms and treatments.
- Why do leaves change color in the fall?
- Explain the difference between climate and weather.
- Describe a specific ecosystem, including the plants and animals that live there.
Pop Culture Informative Essay Topics
- Describe the history of video games.
- What are recent trends in the video game industry?
- Describe your favorite superhero.
- Explain the motivations of any fictional villain.
- Describe the life of your favorite celebrity.
- Explore the development and growth of a main character in any book series.
- Describe the process of making a movie or TV show.
- Tell the story of any band, including its founding, successes and challenges, and breakup (if applicable).
- Describe the life of a famous artist.
- Explore the history of Disney World (or any theme park).
- Plan the perfect fantasy football league team.
- Describe popular trends and fads from any decade.
- Explore the history of the Olympics.
- Describe the music of a generation and how it reflected that time.
- Explain the history of the internet.
What are some of your favorite informative essay topics? Come share your ideas in the WeAreTeachers HELPLINE group on Facebook.
Plus, check out The Big List of Essay Topics for High School (100+ Ideas)!