Black historical past is American historical past, however Black Historical past Month gives the required alternative to dig deeper. Each February, we will help college students as they be taught extra, uncover cultural impacts, and observe actions via to the current day.
Since 1928, the Affiliation for the Research of African American Life and Historical past has supplied a theme for Black Historical past Month. In 2022, the theme is Black Health and Wellness. As you overview a few of our favourite Black Historical past Month actions for the classroom, maintain that crucial theme in thoughts.
(Only a heads up! WeAreTeachers might gather a share of gross sales from the hyperlinks on this web page. We solely suggest objects our group loves!)
1. Deliver artwork and historical past collectively by recreating civil rights freedom motion posters.
The Civil Rights Motion Veterans web site offers powerful examples of freedom movement posters, as does the Civil Rights Digital Library. Evaluate them along with your college students, after which have them get into teams and create their very own to share.
2. Discover Black historical past via major sources from the Nationwide Archives.
Select from thousands of resources, together with this Seventies picture sequence of Chicago.
3. Let artists encourage your Black Historical past Month actions.
4. Watch a Black Historical past Month video.
Try this record of 34 Black History videos for college kids in each grade degree.
5. Be taught in regards to the Black Lives Matter motion.
6. Create a publication or journal.
Have your college students generate their very own publication or literacy journal to distribute to oldsters. Embrace poems and short stories by black authors, in addition to student-generated writings and pictures that heart on Black Historical past Month.
7. Recreate a Black household’s journey utilizing the Inexperienced Ebook.
The Historical past Channel offers a wonderful introduction to this information that was written to assist Black Individuals journey safely throughout the mid twentieth century.
8. Learn a Black Historical past Month poem
To boost our conversations this month, we’ve put collectively this record of highly effective Black History Month Poems for teenagers of all ages.
9. Flip your classroom right into a dwelling museum.
Have your college students select a notable Black pioneer they’d wish to know extra about, reminiscent of voting rights and girls’s rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer, dancer Alvin Ailey, or Betty Reid Soskin, the oldest full-time national parks ranger. Then, host a dwelling museum proper in your classroom. College students can costume up and share what they realized via their analysis.
10. Be taught in regards to the lifetime of the forty fourth president of the USA, Barack Obama.
The White Home web site gives a good introduction to President Barack Obama, as does this National Geographic reader. Obama has additionally authored a number of books that older college students might take pleasure in, together with Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, The Audacity of Hope, and A Promised Land.
11. Create your individual digital museum devoted to remembering slavery and its legacy.
Thirteen.org offers some powerful student examples and a downloadable template you should utilize to attempt the exercise in your classroom.
12. Embellish your classroom door for Black Historical past Month.
These lecturers decorated their classroom doors in wonderful methods to showcase Black Historical past Month.
13. Honor a number of the navy’s most brave veterans.
14. Learn books with Black characters in honor of the younger hero Marley Dias.
Dias is a younger activist who began the #1000blackgirlbooks marketing campaign as a sixth-grader. She has compiled an excellent guide to books with Black girl characters . Try our record of books with Black protagonists as properly.
15. Learn Black image ebook biographies.
These picture book biographies assist have fun Black Historical past Month and educate your college students on how these folks helped form historical past.
16. Be taught in regards to the artwork of stepping.
Stepping is a type of dancing during which the physique itself is used to create distinctive rhythms and sounds. The web site Step Afrika! has movies and details about the historical past of stepping.
17. Nearly go to the illustrious Schomburg Middle for Analysis in Black Tradition in Harlem, New York.
The digital collections characteristic some wonderful on-line reveals, interviews, and podcasts.
18. Witness the realities of slavery and reconciliation firsthand on the nation’s first slavery museum, the Whitney Plantation.
19. Go to the unbelievable Smithsonian Nationwide Museum of African American Historical past & Tradition.
You may browse the collection on-line by matter, date, or place.
20. Host a poetry studying.
Have college students select a poem by a Black poet to be taught and recite for the category. Select a pupil to function the emcee, write up a program, and set the tone with dimmed lights and jazz music performed between performances. The Poetry Foundation has glorious sources that may assist get you began.
21. Reimagine your geography lesson.
Do you know that between 1915 and 1970, millions of Blacks left the South and resettled in locations like Detroit, Los Angeles, and New York? Or that after the Civil Battle, many Blacks known as Exodusters, made their technique to the Nice Plains? Pull up a map and train your college students in regards to the whys, wheres, and hows Black households moved in regards to the nation and the way such demographic shifts formed the USA we all know at the moment. You may also take an interactive journey on the Underground Railroad.
22. Dangle posters within the classroom.
These free posters help bring Black History Month to the classroom.
23. Maintain court docket.
Your future authorized eagles will take pleasure in studying about the important thing Supreme Court cases that helped Blacks safe rights, the occasions and efforts that sparked the instances, and the aftermath of these court docket choices. Make sure you acknowledge Thurgood Marshall, the primary Black Supreme Courtroom justice and the lead lawyer within the Brown case, alongside the best way.
24. Hear up.
25. The play’s the factor.
Together with his American Century Cycle, playwright August Wilson explored Black life throughout the twentieth century. Use the resources centered on the ten performs that make up the cycle to unpack that wealthy historical past. Think about selecting one to current to all the faculty.
26. Try these eight on-line reveals on Black historical past, racism, and protest.
Educating your self and your college students with these shows is yet one more technique to perceive Black historical past and the present second.
27. Attend this Black Historical past Month digital live performance: Preserving and Persevering.
The Chicago Children’s Choir is coming collectively nearly for a dynamic academic program and efficiency honoring black tradition. Tune in to the free stay stream on February twenty sixth via Facebook and YouTube.
28. Plan Black Historical past Month classes by grade with Scholastic.
Discover Scholastic’s Black Historical past Month classroom activities, which could be filtered by grade degree, beginning with kindergarten.
29. Dive into “Georgia Tales: Black Historical past Assortment” on PBS.
As a state, Georgia performed an enormous position within the 2020 presidential election, and its Black history dates again to the earliest days of slavery within the colony.
30. Talk about implicit bias, systemic racism, and social injustice.
Begin a much-needed dialogue round implicit bias and systemic racism with these resources that may empower college students to combat for justice in our society.
31. Proceed to fight racism.
College students have the opportunity to look at the origins and history of narratives about people across ethnicities and racialized non secular teams and think about their relationship to implicit bias and racism. It additionally gives younger folks highly effective counter-narratives and methods they will act to counter racism.
32. Have a good time the dominance of spirit over struggling with “Freedom in Congo Sq..”
The award-winning image ebook, Freedom in Congo Square, is a nonfiction youngsters’s ebook that describes the tyranny of slavery to assist younger readers perceive how jubilant Sundays could be for slaves.
33. Watch Kevin Hart’s Information to Black Historical past.
Kevin Hart highlights the fascinating contributions of Black historical past’s unsung heroes on this entertaining—and academic—comedy particular.
34. Acknowledge Black visionaries.
This great poster that includes activists, artists, authors, and revolutionaries, will spotlight Black changemakers in your classroom. Use companion actions to deepen understanding by researching a number of of the visionaries and asking college students to jot down a narrative or create their very own poster about what they’ve realized.
35. Bear in mind Dr. Martin Luther King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech.
Dr. Martin Luther King’s stirring speech is well-known to adults, however always remember how vital it’s to introduce his phrases to our youthful technology.
36. Create a Black Historical past Month Playlist.
Many genres of music we hearken to at the moment had been formed by Black artists and their groundbreaking influences. Have a good time Black Historical past Month with a playlist of pivotal artists from Louis Armstrong and Jimi Hendrix to Beyoncé and Lauryn Hill. Spotify has ready-made lists to encourage you!
37. Evaluate the timeline of Black Historical past Month.
Why is Black Historical past Month in February? How way back was it based, and who began it? Discover the solutions to those questions and be taught extra with this timeline.
38. Discover the music of Black historical past.
This lesson traces the long history of how Black artists have used music as a car for speaking beliefs, aspirations, observations, joys, despair, resistance, and extra throughout U.S. historical past.
39. Learn the White Home’s Proclamation on Nationwide Black Historical past Month 2022.
How do our nation’s leaders really feel about Black Historical past Month? Learn this proclamation from the White House and focus on it with college students.
40. Pattern Black-Based Snack Manufacturers.
Honor Black Historical past Month with scrumptious snacks from Black-founded brands delivered to your classroom—5% of proceeds are donated to the Equal Justice Initiative and one meal is donated to Feeding America for each field delivered.
41. Perceive the position of Black Girls in NASA’s Historical past.
How a lot do your college students learn about Black contributions to area exploration? Rent the film Hidden Figures and watch along with your college students to recollect, honor, and share the unbelievable accomplishments of three Black ladies engaged on NASA’s area flight program.
42. Take part in Black Historical past Month 2022 Digital Children Trivia.
Encourage college students to participate on this free virtual trivia experience that takes place on Saturday, February 11, 2022. Then, plan a dialogue about it on Monday!
Need extra articles like these? Subscribe to our newsletter!