Summer season is on the horizon, which suggests you may decide up cheap pool noodles at any greenback retailer. They’ve multiple uses within the classroom, however they’re further useful for retaining your math learners’ pursuits afloat. Take a look at this trick for pool noodle fractions! College students will be capable of visualize fractions with this memorable and straightforward to set-up exercise.
What You Want
To make this pool noodle fraction exercise, which can be utilized at a middle or for impartial phrase work, all you want is:
- Pool noodles in at the very least two totally different colours
- Chopping board
- Everlasting marker
What to Do
1. Measure 12 inches on a noodle.
2. Minimize on the 12-inch mark.
3. Write the primary on the piece.
4. Minimize the opposite coloration of pool noodle into two 6-inch items. Write .5 on every.
5. Minimize the primary coloration of noodle into three 4-inch items for 1/3 (.3), then alternate colours for 4 3-inch items for 1/4 (.25), six 2-inch items for 1/6 (.16), and eight 1.5-inch items for 1/8 (.125).
Voila! A tactile strategy to follow fractions or hit the pool.
Watch and discover ways to deliver this exercise to life:
Loving these pool noodle fractions? Subscribe to our newsletters for more innovative teaching content!
Additionally, try 37 more pool noodle uses for the classroom.